Monday, January 23, 2017

1-16-17

Hello!! I need to start finding more creative openings!!

Soeur Bowman and I have had an AWESOME week. I think I'm completely converted to the idea of having your companion a week early. We had a lot of time to get to know each other- our teaching style, our likes and dislikes, how we can effectively contact together, our common goals and intentions, etc. We've worked really hard this week, and had the chance to see some really amazing amis, some old and some new! 

This entire week has really felt like a preparatory week for the rest of the transfer, which is something most missionaries don't get. We made a lot of plans for the transfer last night, and we're really excited about them :) We both had the feeling like we should theme this transfer after the Book of Mormon. Mostly this is because of our Wednesday evening study of the Book of Mormon, which we're starting this week!! We're super excited to kick it off. We're inviting amis, members, less actives and recent converts to come study the Book of Mormon with us, focusing on chapters that testify of Christ. There's a list of such chapters in Preach My Gospel that we're going to use. We're also planning on using some of our companionship and language study time to study those chapters together in French. Our last goal with the Book of Mormon is that we're going to keep track of how many we give out this transfer. We were inspired by a Mormon Message called "A Book of Mormon Story". It's really well done, and I HIGHLY recommend you go check it out. At the end of that video, the narrator says, "Je veux que ce livre remplisse le monde!" or "I want this book to fill the world!" something along those lines. I only have the video in French, I'm sorry!! Anyway the title of our transfer is "Ain't got anything you NEED until you READ... The Book of Mormon: A Transfer"

We also met a really cool ami this week!! His name is Thierry, and we met him on Sunday night while contacting. He said, "Oh! I know who you are. I have your book!" And we said, "Do you really?" So we set up a time to come visit him. When we got around to his rdv on Friday, we came into his apartment, sat down, and he IMMEDIATELY started asking questions! We slowed down, started with a prayer, and had the most amazing lesson about the Restoration of my entire mission (you know, so far :)) He also came to church on Sunday and had a great time!! Highlights Reel version of our time with Thierry: 
1) He studied with the TJs for years and years before meeting with us and keeps talking about how Mormonism makes so much more sense, is so much clearer and less corrupt.
2) He decided that he needed to search for a new church because he didn't like the TJs... the night before he met us. Miracle?
3) We asked him "what is your relationship with God?" right at the beginning of our lesson. He says, "What is my relationship with God? Wow, I've never asked myself that question before. What is my relationship with God? Well I know that God sees me all the time, that He loves me, that He pardons my mistakes. Wow, that's a good question..." etc  
4) We explained the Book of Mormon and cited the scripture in the Bible "other sheep have I that are not of this fold" and explained that the other sheep were the people in the Americas. His eyes got all wide, he leaned WAYY back and he said "OOHHH!!! THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!!! The Temoins have a completely different explanation that makes NO SENSE!!"
5) At the end of church last night we asked him how he liked Priesthood. He said, "They were studying out of a book (D&C), do you think I could get one?" 

I have been having a great week here in Mulhouse!! It's a super pretty city with really awesome members! I'm out of time for this email so I love you all and I hope you have a great week! 

Bisous, 
Soeur Rogers

Pictures are of our district (killing Elder Malloy and one drawn by Elder Taylor), my lovely comp, and pretty houses in Mulhouse that are all different colors!





No comments:

Post a Comment