Sunday, November 27, 2016

11-21-2016

Bonjour mes chères amis!
Hi friends! How was your week? How was your Sunday? Mine was great, we had stake conference in Nantes! Our ami Carrie came! And she met President Babin! And we sang in the choir! And we scavenged for food afterwards because we didn't bring our own because we are silly human beings! Are you getting excited for Thanksgiving? I sure am! French people don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but there are enough Americans in our ward that we're going to get together for the holiday on Saturday and have a jolly old time!
We had exchanges with the STL's in Brest this week, and missed 2/2 trains. The first one was because we were running late and the train left early (why?? Why did it do that??). The second one we actually made on time after SPRINTING from the tram... only to find out that there was a missive storm that blew a tree onto the train tracks, and the train was cancelled. The next one wasn't for another hour and a half :( so we had a lovely time in Brest :)
I also wanted to tell you all a little bit about our amis Marie and Marco! Their story begins about a month ago when we contacted Marie and her 2 little daughters on the street right outside her apartment. We asked to pray with her (as we do) and she suggested that we go to her apartment instead of praying on the street... sure, why not? We scheduled a rendez-vous but she wasn't there when we tried to come over- thus began several weeks of trying to pass by, trying to call her, basically miscommunicating and not being able to see her until one day we passed by AND SHE WAS THERE! She didn't have a lot of time so we shared a scripture, prayed with her, and set a time to see her again. Miraculously, we got to see her again and actually teach. It was such an amazingly spiritual lesson, and she accepted a baptismal date!
We came back for a second rendez-vous, she wasn't there but her husband was. (That's another really good piece of news- she's married to her husband! No massive African weddings to plan!) He told us to come back in 2 hours to teach Marie, and to come back the next day to teach him! So we had an awesome lesson with the Griffins (senior missionary couple) and committed him to begin reading the Book of Mormon. Marie is in China for work right now, but we're so excited for her to come back so that we can teach both of them together. They both have so much faith and trust in the Lord. I'm so excited for them!
---> just wanted to add a quick note here. I love the Griffins. They are so loving, so supportive of us, and so willing to serve both the missionaries and the ward. I am so grateful for their wonderful example, and I'm going to be so sad when I eventually have to leave Rennes and say goodbye :(
And, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, let's talk some more about gratitude. This week I have been feeling especially grateful for the opportunity I have to be a missionary, to teach others about the simple truths I've known my whole life. We taught a lesson to Myriam, our 11 year old investigator. She is SO CUTE and such a precious daughter of God. We told the story of Lehi and his family crossing the wilderness from the beginning of the Book of Mormon, and talked about the importance of having faith and trust in God. We also talked about that same principle when we talked about the 2000 stripling warriors with a less active mom and her kids. I'm so grateful for the power of the Book of Mormon in my life and in the lives of the people I get to meet in this beautiful country. I know that it contains so much truth, and that when I read it, I can be strengthened and prepared to work hard, to teach, to testify, and to learn all day long. And the wonderful thing is, I know that it can work that way for everyone!
Thanks to everyone for your wonderful support and letters! I know that not everyone has a day set apart in the week for writing emails (isn't that such a weird concept?) but I appreciate every effort! And remember- a picture is worth a thousand words! I don't get to see your lovely faces every day, so a few minutes to send me some photos (even silly selfies) is worth so much to me! I love you all, have a great week!
Bisous,
Sœur Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment